Serena Williams, the Australian Open champion is likely to face tough challenge against Russian beauty Maria Sharapova in the WTA Ranking points in upcoming months. Serena and Maria Sharapova will have to battle for No. 1 spot, as both the champions hopes to play best tennis in their respective tournaments.
World No. 1 Serena Williams, who has withdraws from the WTA Dubai Tennis Championships this week, she is eyeing to recover full fitness ahead of the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells. However, Serena has confirmed that she is going to return back to play WTA Indian Wells for the first time in 14 years.
Maria Sharapova, the five-time singles Grand slam winner was scheduled to play WTA Acapulco open second round against Duque Marino, where she has defeated Shelby Rogers in first round with a 6-4, 6-1. Meanwhile, Russian beauty is looking very close to steal No. 1 spot from Serena soon before heading to the French Open Roland Garros.
Sharapova is having most of the chances to regain No. 1 position in the WTA Ranking Points, where she holds second place with 8210 ahead of Serena’s 9592.
1. Serena Williams (USA) 9,592
2. Maria Sharapova (RUS) 8,210
3. Simona Halep (ROM) 6,571 (+1)
4. Petra Kvitova (CZE) 6,480 (-1)
5. Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) 4,730
6. Ana Ivanovic (SRB) 4,425
7. Eugenie Bouchard (CAN) 4,365
8. Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) 4,025
9. Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) 3,320
10. Andrea Petkovic (GER) 3,150
11. Angelique Kerber (GER) 2,650 (+1)
12. Sara Errani (ITA) 2,641 (+4)
13. Karolina Pliskova (CZE) 2,620 (+5)
14. Carla Suarez Navarro (ESP) 2,585 (-1)
15. Lucie Safarova (CZE) 2,555
16. Flavia Pennetta (ITA) 2,506 (-2)
17. Venus Williams (USA) 2,366 (-6)
18. Dominika Cibulkova (SLQ) 2,236 (-1)
19. Madison Keys (USA) 2.100 (+1)
20. Garbine Muguruza (ESP) 2,095 (+4)